SSL certificate is used to secure ongoing transactions between two ends like the browser and the server. The main object of the SSL certificate is to stop eavesdropping or data sniffing between two ends hence, provide strong security. SSL can be installed on sever like cPanel, Apache, IIS and many more.
In this article, we will discuss the process about how to install SSL on cPanel. What we need is zip file received from the certificate authority, Private Key that was created with the CSR.
Getting the SSL Certificate file from the CA
- Many certificate authorities and resellers offer SSL at budget price with many options like single domain SSL, multi domain SSL certificate, Code signing certificate, EV SSL certificate etc. It depends upon your requirements, which certificate is suits you.
- First, you need to sign up, as there is no charge for it. After enrolling for SSL certificate, you need to complete the process of getting the certificate as described by the SSL provider. In this process, the certificate issuance time depends upon the type of a certificate like the one EV SSL takes normally 4-5 days in issuance while single domain SSL can be issued within a single day.
- The process of obtaining SSL certificate generally includes create CSR, complete the configure process, provide details to the SSL provider, complete the domain approval process and finally get the certificate in zip file.
- In zip file, you will have main certificate, root certificate, and intermediate certificates that you need to save on server/desktop to install them on cPanel server.
Begin Installation process of SSL on cPanel
In above paragraph, we have seen a quick look on how to get the SSL certificate and now we will focus on how to install it on cPanel.
- First you need to login to your cPanel there you will find many options. You need to click on SSL/TLS Manager under Security
- After that, you will land on SSL Certificates section in which you need to click on Generate, view, upload or delete option. You can check below screenshot.
After the page is loaded, you need to enter following details.
- Host – Choose the domain name from the drop-down menu.
- Country – Enter two-digit country code.
- State – Enter two-digit state abbreviation.
- City – Enter city’s name.
- Company Division – enter Company’s division.
- Email – Enter email address.
- Pass Phrase – Enter any phrase you want to use for the pass phrase.
Click on the Generate button.
- Now, you need to import CA Certificate and it can be done in either two ways like browse the certificate and upload or copy the certificate content and paste in given boxes. Here we will copy the content and paste it in given box. First copy the main certificate files naming mydomain.crt and paste it in the ‘Upload a New Certificate’ section.
- After that, Click on Return to SSL Manager link found at the bottom of the page.
- Now, click on Install and Manage SSL for your site (HTTPS) option found under SSL/TLS Page.
- You will have drop down menu from where you need to select domain name and the system will get SSL certificate and private key. In given box, you can copy CA Bundle (Root + Intermediate) files.
- Finally, you just need to click on Install Certificate. The SSL certificate is now installed.